We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
The summer period in the Urals is quite short, therefore it is very difficult for an ordinary gardener to grow tomatoes in such an area.
The climatic features of the Urals must be taken into account when choosing varieties for planting, as well as when growing tomatoes. However, if you take proper care of vegetables, even in such difficult climatic conditions, you can get a high yield of healthy fruits with excellent taste. In the article, we will talk about choosing the right variety of tomatoes and the intricacies of growing a vegetable.
All these characteristics directly depend on the geographical location of the area. The region is located far from the oceans, in the very depths of the continent. The climate of the Urals is heterogeneous, very changeable, precipitation is unevenly distributed. The weather tends to change at a fairly high rate. That is, in one day rain, hail and a strong wind can start, and the sun will shine brightly in the intervals between weather changes.
In summer, temperature drops are especially pronounced in the Urals. In the southern part of the region at this moment the temperature can rise to 25 degrees Celsius, while in the northern part the air temperature reaches only six degrees Celsius. This fact should be taken into account when growing tomatoes.
Reference. Summer in the southern part of the described area lasts about 5 months, everything else is winter, in the north everything is a little different: summer lasts only two months, and the winter period lasts all 10.
What are the best varieties to plant?
Agronomists with extensive experience advise giving preference to varieties that are resistant to adverse conditions, unpretentious to growing conditions, as well as varieties of tomatoes that have early ripening periods. Gardeners recommend paying attention to the following varieties.
It grows in height up to half a meter. The ripening period is 3-3.5 months. External description: the color of the fruit is red, it is round in shape, dense, the average weight reaches 80 grams. The main advantage of the species is the early and simultaneous ripening of fruits.
It reaches a length of about 50 centimeters. Description of the tomato: raspberry color, harsh to the touch, rounded shape with a blunt end. The fruits ripen in 3 months. They can reach weights up to 250 grams. The main advantage is taste and high yield rates.
The height is the same as in the previous varieties - 45 centimeters. The fruits are fully ripe in less than three months. External data: the color of the tomato is bright red, the shape is regular, round, very fleshy, it grows to a weight of about 80 grams. Advantages: resistance to various diseases and cracking.
This variety is slightly smaller than the rest - only 30 centimeters. Ripens in 3.5 months. According to the description, this tomato is standard - red, fleshy, round. Weight is approximately 100 grams. The advantages include an excellent presentation, and its preservation for a long time, immunity to late blight.
It reaches a height of up to half a meter. Ripening period - 85 days. Fruit weight is only 50 grams. The color of the tomato is deep red, round, a distinctive feature is the absence of a spot on the stalk. The advantages of the variety are very fast ripening.
The stem length is 50-60 centimeters. The ripening time is three months. Fruits are small, weighing up to 25 grams, red, round in shape. The advantage is resistance to diseases and pests.
Plant height - 0.6-0.7 meters. Tomatoes ripen in an average of three months. The fruit is very bright in color, weighing up to 100 grams. Pros of the variety: immunity to ailments and easy tolerance of adverse weather conditions.
When is the time for planting tomatoes in the greenhouse and in the open ground?
Tomatoes are a very thermophilic crop, therefore, it is possible to plant seedlings in a greenhouse only within strictly defined terms. Planting in greenhouses that are not heated should not take place earlier than in May. The dates for planting in the greenhouse are not earlier than mid-April.
Growing tomatoes from seeds in the Urals is considered impractical. It is better to resort to the usual planting of tomatoes for this region - seedlings (for the peculiarities of growing tomato seedlings in the Chinese way, read here, and from this article you will learn about the non-pricked method of sowing seeds).
As for planting tomatoes in open ground, the weather conditions in the Urals are not very suitable for this procedure, since tomatoes are considered a heat-loving crop. Warm weather cannot stay in this region for long. In addition, the soil does not have time to warm up to the optimal level. But if you still decide to take a risk and plant tomatoes in open ground, then it is better to do this from the second half of June.
For planting in a greenhouse, you need to select the period when the soil up to 20 centimeters in depth will be warmed up to at least 13 degrees Celsius. In the case of a lower temperature, the roots will not be able to absorb a sufficient amount of moisture, which means they will not be able to fully develop.
- Before planting, it is worth taking care of a good drainage layer, since tomatoes cannot tolerate stagnant moisture.
- Next, furrows are prepared at a distance of 0.5 meters from each other.
- Each furrow must be watered with a weak solution of potassium permanganate, sprinkled with ash and a little superphosphate.
Important. In no case should humus be added to the soil, because in this case you will get quite powerful bushes with a small amount of fruit.
We all know that Siberia also does not favor its inhabitants with excellent weather conditions. Therefore, in this region it is not easy not only to live and work, but even more so to grow any garden crops. We recommend that you familiarize yourself with our materials on planting tomatoes in this region, as well as the pros and cons of growing tomatoes at home in pots.
Step by step care instructions
Recall that the most suitable way to grow a plant is to plant tomatoes for seedlings. This method will help you get a good healthy harvest. But for this it is worth following the rules of cultivation:
- 15 days after growing the seedlings to a permanent place, the seedlings must be tied up, and the "stepchildren" must be removed, leaving only hemp of 2-3 centimeters in height from them.
- Before the tomatoes begin to bloom and impose fruits, it is worth watering the crop no more than once a week.
- If the weather is very dry, the frequency of watering should be increased. The same must be done in the case when the slightest fruits begin to form.
- If there is not enough moisture, there is a chance of developing top rot, and its excessive amount can cause rotting of the entire root system.
- It is necessary to moisten the soil exclusively under the root system, the most suitable time is the morning hours or after sunset.
- During the period of development and active growth of tomatoes, they need to be fed with liquid fertilizer, for example, mullein or ready-made complex dressings. Make sure that there is a sufficient amount of potassium and magnesium in the fertilizers, otherwise, later, due to this shortage, green spots may appear on the tomatoes. Such fertilizers are applied twice a month.
- To increase the number of ovaries and fruits, you need to spray the culture with a solution of boric acid (10%) every two weeks.
- As soon as the first ovaries appear on the tomatoes, you need to remove the lower leaf plates, especially those that are in contact with the ground - it is best to carry out such a procedure in the morning hours of the sun, so the wounds will have time to heal by the evening.
- Several times per season, it is necessary to treat the plant with insecticidal and fungicidal preparations as a prevention of diseases and pest attacks.
- The soil must be water and air permeable, fertilized.
- It is best to add a little black soil and coarse river sand to the soil.
Attention! Experienced agronomists do not recommend growing tomatoes in the same area of soil for more than three years. During this period, all nutrients and nutrients disappear in the soil, in addition, parasites and various diseases develop.
Tips & Tricks
According to the agronomists of the Urals, an important criterion for the quality of tomatoes is the keeping quality of fruits and the ability to transport... But it is worth noting that those fruits that can be stored for a long time do not always have excellent taste.
You also need to give preference to those varieties that are resistant to the development of infections and adverse conditions. Therefore, do not forget to treat the culture with special solutions, for example, such as "Epin" and "Zircon".
Growing any vegetable crop in a region with such an ambiguous climate is not an easy task. Therefore, you need to make a lot of effort and time to achieve high yields. But the ability to grow tomatoes on your site and be confident in their qualities is expensive.