We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
A Far Eastern dish - Korean marinated cabbage, is very popular in its homeland, where Chinese cabbage kimchi is always present in a traditional meal, it is added as an indispensable ingredient in soups and famous noodles.
White cabbage, and its variety - red cabbage, our compatriots, can easily replace an overseas guest and even give her a head start, if you cook them correctly.
Features of the dish
Variations in cooking technology make it possible to create dishes from one well-known product that can satisfy the taste of the most demanding gourmet. The Korean cooking method is distinguished from traditional European recipes by the abundance of spices in the marinade.
The use of sweet and hot peppers, soy sauce, sugar and coriander as ingredients allows you to give the dish a bright characteristic taste and aroma, thanks to which Korean pickled cabbage is able to diversify not only an everyday lunch, but also give new shades to a festive dinner.
What kind of vegetable to choose?
White cabbage is the most suitable substitute for Peking, when cooked, it differs only slightly from the original in taste and appearance.
The red-headed variety contains less juice, and the dish prepared from it differs from the classic one in color. Otherwise, red cabbage can be a full replacement for kimchi. If you use broccoli or cauliflower, you get a delicious, but completely different dish.
The benefits and harms of the dish
Korean-style pickled cabbage is a dietary product, low-calorie - 56 kcal per 100 grams (contains 1.1 g of protein, 5.5 g of carbohydrates, 3.6 g of fat), which is a storehouse of vitamins and minerals. In addition to vitamins - C, PP, K, B1, B2, B4, B6, B9, the product contains a considerable part of the periodic table - iron, copper, potassium, iodine, fluorine, molybdenum, fluorine, manganese, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, cobalt, chlorine, selenium, zinc, chromium, sodium.
The amino acids present in pickled cabbage - pectin, carotene, lysine, neutralize proteins of foreign origin in the body. Providing a stimulating effect on the body's metabolism, the product is recommended for gastritis with low acidity, coronary heart disease, gout, constipation and kidney disease.
The high fiber content helps to lower blood cholesterol levels, improves the peristalsis of the gastrointestinal tract.
The high fiber content of the food can cause flatulence in the intestines. The ingredients of the dish can provoke an allergic reaction. With caution, you should use pickled cabbage for gastritis with increased stomach acidity and high blood pressure.
With myocardial infarction, diarrhea, colitis and enteritis, renal failure and thyroid diseases, the vegetable should be excluded from the diet. The salt contained in the dish leads to fluid retention in the body, therefore it is dangerous if there is a tendency to edema.
In traditional Korean cuisine, vinegar essence is used with a high concentration of 70 - 80%, capable of inaccurate handling and overdose, cause severe burns and poisoning. It is necessary to observe safety precautions when handling concentrated acids and alkalis. The recipes below provide the dosage of safe table vinegar to replace acetic acid.
You can read more about the benefits and dangers of pickled cabbage here.
How to pickle: recipes with photos
- a head of cabbage or kimchi weighing 1.5 - 2 kg.;
- 1.5 - 2 tbsp. l. coarse salt;
- 2 tsp sugar;
- 4 cloves of garlic;
- 1 tbsp. chopped hot pepper;
- 1 tbsp. chopped red sweet pepper;
- 0.5 tbsp. 70% acetic acid or 3 tbsp. 9% table vinegar;
- if available - a ready-made package of spices for carrots or cabbage in Korean style 5 gr.
Step-by-step cooking instructions:
- Peking cabbage is divided into individual leaves, each leaf is cut into 2 by 2 cm squares.
- White cabbage is cut into quarters, a stalk is cut out, each part is divided into four, equal in volume, shares.
- Pour two liters of water into an enamel pot with a capacity of 3-4 liters and bring to a boil.
- Salt, sugar, garlic, hot and sweet peppers, vinegar are added to boiling water.
- If available, you can add a ready-made bag of spices for cabbage or carrots in Korean to the marinade, but in this case, the portion of hot pepper must be halved.
- After dissolving the salt and sugar, the container with the marinade is cooled to room temperature.
- Put chopped cabbage into the marinade, cover with a plate on top and press down with oppression.
- Leave the pan at room temperature overnight.
- Every other day, you need to place the container in a cool place, you can in the refrigerator.
- After two to three days, the cabbage is ready.
You can learn more about cooking cabbage marinade in this material.
Quick cooking with kimchi
The ingredients and step-by-step instructions for quick cooking kimchi dish are identical to all the points in recipe 1 until the boiling marinade is ready, which is poured over the chopped vegetable. Cool down to room temperature, Korean cabbage is ready to eat.
Instant pickled cabbage recipes can be found here.
- a head of white cabbage weighing 1.5 - 2 kg.;
- 1.5 tbsp. coarse table salt;
- 2 tsp chopped red bell pepper;
- 0.75 tbsp. 70% acetic acid or 2 tbsp. 9% table vinegar;
- if available - a ready-made package of spices for carrots or cabbage in Korean 5 gr .;
- hot pepper to taste.
Step-by-step cooking instructions:
- The head of cabbage is finely chopped, separating the stalk.
- Chopped cabbage is placed in an enamel container with a volume of 3-4 liters.
- After adding salt and sugar, shredded cabbage vigorously squeeze until juice is abundant.
- Chop the garlic finely.
- Add garlic, paprika, hot pepper, vinegar and a ready-made package of spices to the container.
- Mix the ingredients thoroughly with two forks. Done!
More recipes for pickled cabbage with garlic and paprika can be found here.
- You can add red carrots to classic pickled cabbage, white cabbage or kimchi to improve the taste. On a portion of 1.5 - 2 kg of the main product, put 0.5 kg of carrots.
- Root crops are cut in plates along their entire length, 2 - 3 mm thick and 2 - 3 cm wide.
- The vegetable is added to the cabbage before pouring the marinade.
- Separately cooked carrots, as Koreans call them, "carrots", are added to the instant white cabbage dish.
- Red carrots (0.5 kg) are chopped on a special grater or finely chopped along the entire length. You should get slices 5 - 7 cm long, in a section of 1.5 by 1.5 mm.
- Heat vegetable oil (50 ml) in a frying pan.
- Add finely chopped garlic (4 cloves) to the oil and lightly fry.
- Add carrots, salt (0.5 tsp) and fry over high heat, stirring continuously for 20 seconds. The carrots should remain tough and slightly dried.
- Quickly spread the contents of the frying pan into chopped cabbage and, while the carrots are hot, mix everything.
Garlic is only put in carrots, not added to cabbage.
More recipes for pickled cabbage with carrots can be found here.
- To prepare Korean-style pickled cabbage for the winter, the chopped vegetable is laid out in steamed liter jars, leaving 1.5 - 2 cm to the edge of the container.
- Hot marinade is poured into jars.
You can learn more about pickled cabbage with hot marinade here, and read about pickling cabbage in a jar in this article.
When stored in the refrigerator, it is sufficient to close each jar with a plastic lid. To prevent mold from forming under the lid, it is enough to pour 0.5 - 1 cm of vegetable oil over the marinade.
Shelf life in the refrigerator is within 3 months.
The use of coriander seeds in whole or crushed form is very typical for the ethnic cuisine of the Far East. Thanks to the addition of spices, the dish acquires a unique "Korean" taste and aroma.
- In the classic version of the dish, a teaspoon of crushed or whole coriander seeds is placed in the marinade during its preparation. (A head of cabbage weighing 1.5 - 2 kg).
- A teaspoon of coriander seeds, along with salt and sugar, are added to an instant dish of Korean style pickled cabbage. (A head of cabbage weighing 1.5 - 2 kg).
- When "carrots" are prepared, a teaspoon of coriander is fried with garlic in oil. (0.5 kg of red carrots).
Korean style pickled cabbage is served cold, serving in salad bowls as a separate dish, decorating with dill, coriander (cilantro) or marjoram leaves. Soy sauce and hot seasoning are served separately.
Reference: Using salty soy sauce can help reduce salt intake and add flavor to your food. But soy sauce has a number of medical contraindications, and its taste is unusual for a consumer brought up on European cuisine. Should you substitute soy sauce for salt? The choice depends on individual taste preferences and health conditions.
In Korea, it is customary to eat in a large family circle at home or in a cafe, in the company of friends. A large number of sauces and salads are served simultaneously on the table in small portions, common to all, which, according to individual preference, each participant of the meal adds to his, separately ordered dish. Among the assortment of dishes, Korean-style pickled cabbage occupies its rightful traditional place.